Beginning of new year becomes a perfect time to try something new, and Xiaomi has done just that by revealing ‘something new’ within the very first week of 2015. We already know about the success that company has enjoyed till now in India, and it seems like the saga of that success is about to continue for long. Thrilled by the success of its Redmi and Mi devices in China and India, yesterday Xiaomi announced one more powerful device in China dubbed Redmi 2. The new smartphone will be a successor to original Redmi 1S and once again company has tried to deliver a whole lot of features for a fraction of price.
Given below are the major specs at a glance:
- 7-inch IPS HD display with 1280×720 px resolution
- Android 4.4 KitKat with MIUI 6.0
- 2 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 410 processor (64-bit)
- 1GB of RAM
- Adreno 306 GPU
- 4G LTE compatibility
- 8 megapixel rear-facing shooter with capability of recording full-HD (1080p) videos
- 2 megapixel front-facing shooter
- 8GB internal storage
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and A-GPS
- microSD card slot (supports up to 32GB)
- Dual-sim support (each one capable of 4G LTE connectivity)
- And a 2200 mAh battery to power all of this, which can be charged quickly with the help of Quickcharge 1.0.
After seeing the specs mentioned above one thing is clear – Xiaomi hasn’t made a lot of changes in the device when compared to Redmi 1S. The only major changes are faster processor and 4G LTE compatibility. Another major change that we may count is availability in multiple colors – Redmi 2 will be available in White, Grey, Yellow, Pink and Green colors. Minor changes include an improved front-facing camera, bigger battery and a 0.5 mm thinner design. Pricing and all other things are nearly unchanged, which doesn’t make upgrading a “must” if you already have Redmi 1S. The device has been launched for $113 approximately and will be available from January 9 in China.
The company seems to be ramping up things quickly this year as one more flagship under the “Mi” product line is expected to be launched on 15th of January. And although company is tight-lipped on the global roll-out plans of Redmi 2, still after success of Mi3, Redmi 1S and Redmi Note in India and Indonesia it can be expected that company will soon launch the new device in both markets. We’ll let you know when it’s about to happen in India, so keep visiting us.