After the success of its flagship smartphone HTC One M7 and M8; Taiwanese handset maker HTC blew our mind again with a new smartphone known as HTC Desire 816. It’s a great mid-range smartphone with 5.5-inch Super LCD2 display, 1.6 GHz quad-core processor, Adreno 305 GPU, 13mp primary camera, HTC Sense and Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Although Android is an open source mobile OS, still handset vendors provide us a limited functionality of the OS. The good part is that we can tap the full potential of our device by gaining root access. If you’ve not yet rooted your Desire 816 then you’re missing out on the full potential of your device. This is why we are presenting you a guide on how to root HTC Desire 816 which also includes a tutorial on installing custom recovery.
Now if you’re looking for a simple and easy method of rooting the device then I would like to tell you that you’re at the right place. For the sake of simplicity I’m dividing this guide in two parts:
- Charge your smartphone at least 80% otherwise the process may get halted in the middle due to lack of power. In that case, your phone may end up in dead condition.
- Enable the USB debugging mode on your smartphone.
- Backup all your important files and data.
- The bootloader of your phone must be unlocked. If it’s not then you can do that by going here.
- Install the USB drivers related to your smartphone. An easier way of doing this is downloading the Moborobo Tool, which comes with both USB and Fastboot drivers.
- Download custom recovery for your device on the PC.
- Download SuperSu app for HTC Desire 816 on your PC and place it somewhere in your phone’s internal or external memory.
Installing custom recovery on HTC Desire 816
- Download the custom recovery for your Desire 816 if you’ve not yet done the same.
- Ensure that all the drivers related to your smartphone are installed on your PC by connecting it to the computer. If drivers are installed correctly then your phone will be recognized. If your computer doesn’t recognize the smartphone, install the drivers first.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Start the device into fastboot mode. To do so press and hold the volume down key along with the power button for a while.
- Connect your smartphone to the PC in fastboot mode through USB.
- Now run the Custom Recovery.exe file that you downloaded in first step. The process will take a few seconds only.
- Once process is complete, enter into recovery mode by selecting HBOOT. Don’t reboot the device.
The first part is done! Now you have a custom recovery installed on your Desire 816. Now let’s move to the second part.
How to Root HTC Desire 816
- By now your phone should be into recovery mode. Now select the “Install Zip from SD Card” option and navigate to the “SuperSu.zip” file that you placed earlier in your smartphone.
- Install SuperSu app on your smartphone by giving a “Yes” to the flash install of “SuperSu.zip”.
- Once flash process is complete, navigate to the main menu of recovery and select “Reboot” option.
You made it! Now your HTC Desire 816 is rooted and running a custom recovery. To ensure the change navigate to the app drawer when your phone turns on completely. If you can find SuperSu app in the drawer then congratulations, otherwise you need to do the process again.