Asus Zenfone 2 is perhaps one of the most popular android smartphone which has been released in four different price points. A few days ago, I wrote an article about best flip covers and cases for Asus Zenfone 2 which I believe is very useful for protecting your phone from potential damages. In this article, I’ll be talking about rooting Asus Zenfone 2 which runs on Android 5.0 Lollipop. There are various advantages of rooting an android smartphone. In this case, after rooting Asus Zenfone 2, you’ll be able to uninstall various system applications which are unnecessary. So, if you’re interested in getting rid of this unwanted apps, let’s get started.
Is this root process same for all Asus Zenfone 2 variants?
Yes, the process of rooting all Asus Zenfone 2 variants i.e., ZE550ML and ZE551ML is same. The files are different and varies according to the software version which is mentioned in about section of your phone.
Preparing to root Asus Zenfone 2
There are few key points that you need to take care of before starting the procedure of rooting Asus Zenfone 2. One such point is about enabling USB debugging. For that, you’ll need to go into settings > about and tap on builder number 7 times. This will unlock the option of developer options in settings. Go into this developer options and enable USB debugging.
It is also highly recommended that you charge your phone to 100 percent. Don’t even think of moving ahead with battery less than 60-70%.
If you think that you will loose everything on your phone, then you’re damn right because this time are actually flashing a pre rooting system image which would probably delete everything. Therefore, you should perhaps take a full backup of all your files to some safe place such as your computer.
Files required to root Zenfone 2
Download pre-root images according to your software version (check in about section)
Instructions to Root Asus Zenfone 2
- Switch off your Zenfone 2 and boot it into fastboot mode.
- How to boot into fastboot mode? – Once it is switched off, press and hold power button + volume up (+) button simultaneously. As soon as phone vibrates, you can release power button.
- Now, your phone will show an android image with Normal Boot being written on top.
- Install the ADB fastboot tool. Extract the contents of respective preroot system and put it in the fastboot folder of this tool. Rename the extracted file to system.img
- Open command prompt window in the same folder. You can do that by holding shift key of your computer keyboard and right clicking.
- Connect your phone to the computer using USB cable.
- Type the command as
If the connection is successful, it will show your phone with random ID.
- Now type this final command –
fastboot flash system system.img
- This will begin the process of flashing this new system image. It will most probably take 8-10 minutes to complete the flash.
I hope that this article about how to root Asus Zenfone 2 has helped you in rooting your phone. If you liked it, you can perhaps do me a favor by writing a comment about your experience or even share it with your friends. In the next article, I’ll be talking about few custom ROMs and how you can install them on your Asus Zenfone 2. If you’ve had any doubt anywhere throughout this article, feel free to comment below. Till then, peace!