WhatsApp has really changed the way we used to interact with our loved ones. When was the last time you sent a text message to someone? I don’t quite remember that because everyone from my friend list (with who I’m in touch) are using WhatsApp and there’s absolutely no need to text them.
There were situations when I wanted to retrieve the old deleted messages from WhatsApp, I wanted to check out my stats about how I’m using whats or even get the voice notifications for what’s app. Today, I’m announcing the #WhatsApp series in which I’ll be talking about various What’sApp tricks that you would have probably never knew.
Please note that some of these techniques from this series are limited to Android and may not work on the other operating systems. The very first technique in this series is about recovering or retrieving old WhatsApp messages.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages
I bet this would be the most searched query on the Google search. In fact, last week, three of my friends asked me how they can recover the deleted WhatsApp messages? is it really possible to recover them all?
Yes, to some extent, you can recover the deleted WhatsApp messages. Here’s how you can achieve the same.
- Open any file manager on your phone and navigate to the SD card
- If there’s no SD card present on your phone, navigate to the WhatsApp folder directly.
- In What’sApp folder, go into the Database (again folder).
- Here you’ll have a file named msgstore.db.crypt
- Now, you go into the settings > apps > WhatsApp and clear the data
- Start What’sApp again and it will ask you if you want to restore the chats. Press and yes and it will restore your conversation from msgstore.db.crypt file.
- This file contains all your deleted conversations however this is limited to that single day.
- Now, there’re bunch of other files with dates ranging from the last seven days. Just rename the required file to msgstore.db.crypt, redo the process of clearing data and restore your messages for that particular day.
- Remember that you wil loose your current messages and there’s absolutely no way to merge the old and current messages.
If you don’t quite like this method, there’s option available. You can use a third party service called Recover Messages to get back your WhatsApp chats.
Method 2 : Retrieve Whats App Chats using Recover Messages
If the process takes several minutes, don’t panic. If your database file size is big, it may take more time. Once the scan has been completed, you can click on the tab named “Registers Recovered” to read your old messages. This method is perhaps one of the easiest method available and there’s one drawback to it. You can’t restore this messages in WhatsApp chat history using the respective online service.