Ten days ago we were promised that users of Xperia M2 and Xperia M2 dual will soon be receiving the same Android 4.4 update that Xperia E1 users are enjoying. Well, the wait is over – folks at Sony rolled out the KitKat update for Xperia M2 and Xperia M2 dual smartphones today as they move ahead on the mission of updating all smartphone models released by the company.
The M2 family was released during Mobile World Congress in March. Both these variants of the Xperia M2 i.e, single SIM and dual SIM were launched with Android 4.3 jelly bean.
As you may expect, this update comes with all the bells and whistles of Android KitKat – the sleek UI, performance enhancements and other Sony specific features. But the tale doesn’t end here – there are several other features too, which can be found in the change-log given below:
Android 4.4 Update Changelog for Xperia M2
- All the standard experience enhancements and stability improvements of Android KitKat.
- A tweaked status bar and quick settings… now more cleaned up and intuitive to ensure that you receive the most important notifications as soon as possible.
- More control on your content because now you can move apps in an easier manner from internal memory to SD card… something very important for devices with low internal storage.
- The native app portfolio of Sony is also being updated – WALKMAN, Smart Connect, Track ID, Messaging, What’s New, Album and Movies all are being updated to their respective new versions.
- Support for already popular custom UI experience of Sony known as “Xperia Themes” will also be available after you update your phone. With that you’ll be able to download awesome UI packs from Sony Select. Note that Xperia Themes has become insanely popular among Sony users with more than 2 million downloads!
- And compatibility with Sony’s SmartWear devices is something that will be welcomed by most smartwatch enthusiasts who own these smartphones. Now you can grab all your physical, social and entertainment experiences on your wrist with Sony’s SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog application.
If you’re a PlayStation 4 user, this whole experience will feel familiar to you because the launch animation and live wallpaper of home screen and lock screen have been borrowed from the console.
As usual, the availability of update for your smartphone may vary according to the market and carrier. Right now this update has been made available in select countries of Europe and Asia. More countries will also be added to the list as they expand the update phase.
As company is moving towards the launch of its longtime rumored Xperia Z3 smartphone, this update will certainly provide comfort to the other xperia users who might have been wondering that their device has been forgotten.
PS: You can check for the update via Sony’s PC Companion or Bridge application for your Mac or PC. You can also look for it by going to the About phone >> Software update section of the phone.